Sunday, November 23, 2008

Little Singers

The Primary program at church was today. I enjoyed being able to actually sit in the congregation and relax, as opposed to playing the piano or making sure my class behaved. The two best parts of the program for me, though, had to do with Allie and Sami.

Several months ago, the chorister Genny Stephenson taught the kids "I Love to See the Temple." She learned and then taught them the sign language to the first verse. One Sunday, just for the heck of it, she asked Allie to sing the verse while everyone else signed. She said it was so sweet that she had to incorporate it. So, Allie sang her first solo today. She had been in a bad mood earlier in the morning, and I was just praying that she wouldn't let that affect her desire to sing. Her time came, and she climbed up the step at the podium as the introduction began. I held my breath as her cue came... and then she sang... clearly and beautifully, without the slightest hint of shyness or self-consciousness, missing tooth and all. I beamed at our sweet girl with the precious little voice. I love hearing children sing, but it's a special treat when the children are your own. After the meeting, the girl was showered with compliments. Linda Samuels was especially touched, wishing that all young women could maintain that strength of testimony displayed by someone so young. I thought it a beautiful thing that Allie's sweet voice could invite the Spirit into the meeting in such a way.

And then twenty minutes later, the congregation joined the Primary in singing two verses of "I Am a Child of God." While Sami had enjoyed having Mom and Dad's undivided attention down in the pew, and I could tell she really would have enjoyed singing with the kids-- she hummed all the songs anyway. So the fact that she got to sing the closing song was a real treat for her. And she let it fly! I couldn't help but laugh as she belted out each word, and being near the front the bishop heard and smiled. Everyone around us heard, too. Boy was she ever proud.

We have pretty neat kids.

8 comments:

Emma said...

How sweet. I would loved to see Allie sing. I love the new look of your blog!

R and R said...

The primary program is the best Sunday of the whole year (if you just get to sit and listen!) Too bad we live so far away and couldn't be there!

Heather said...

Allie did wonderful on Sunday! She really did bring the Spirit in stronger.

The Less Extreme Couponer said...

Primary programs are my favorite! I cry through the whole thing! There is nothing more special to me than seeing our children share their testimonies and signing church hymns. I love it. I ams ure you were a proud mama! :)

Jill and Kevin said...

They both did an excellent job! I've heard Allie sing that a bunch of times, and still I always tear up, Sunday especially. We are excited for when Sami comes into Primary too. Not for another year though.

Janet said...

I really enjoyed the program! Allie sang beautifully!

Unknown said...

There is definitely a mature spirit in that little body. Allie's song pierced our hearts...I think everyone was "especially touched"...

Jackie said...

Way to go Allie!!! I wish I could just sit and listen.....being in the primary presidency just doesn't allow that. Ours is in two weeks!