Monday, November 10, 2008

Just One More Time on my Soapbox

Okay, I just have to write about this because I feel like my brain is going to explode.

Call me naive, but I had no idea the Church would have to endure so much serious persecution because of this whole California Prop 8 thing. The Mormons weren't the only ones involved in defending the traditional family. Yet, we are the ones being targeted.

People have been protesting out in front of California temples, hatefully harassing members trying to enter. They've been sitting on the wall surrounding the LA temple, telling members to go back to Utah, even vandalizing the wall. Outside the San Diego temple, one hospice nurse attended the protest with her husband and son, commenting how she didn't understand how a church that had endured so much persecution in the past could be so "oppressive." Are you kidding me? For peacefully standing up for our beliefs?

Okay, let's get this straight. The early members of the Church were persecuted for standing up their beliefs. Those that persecuted them were not peaceful when they threatened them, burned their homes, ran them out of town, killed them, and tarred and feathered them. It was hateful. How much of that did anyone see Church members doing in their quest to encourage the passing of Prop 8? Hateful and oppressive? I don't think so.

Now, look at the flip-side. How much hate is emanating from those who are angry that Prop 8 did pass? Just as the early members of the Church, current members are being targeted for standing up for their beliefs. So, who's being oppressive?

According to quotes I've read, some homosexuals want to do everything they can to ruin heterosexual weddings, protesting at them or sabotaging them. I read of one person wanting to "take out" those from a long list of Mormons and Catholics who had contributed heavily to the "Yes on 8" campaign.

If Prop 8 had not passed, how many Mormons would you have seen protesting outside homosexual weddings? Probably none. They have better things to do. And they would have known that they did all they could, and would have moved on-- not protesting and making a pathetic scene. In the LDS-way, members still would have pressed on faithfully living the principles of the gospel.

Now of course, protesting is a right and privilege, but how much good does it do when it's filled with anger, hate, and lies? Or when people are made to feel unworthy and inferior because of their beliefs? Homosexuals might make the same argument against those that voted in favor of Prop 8. BUT our beef had nothing to do with the worth of a group of individuals. We know each and every soul is valuable and loved and is deserving of kindness and respect. We all are obligated to tolerate the sinner (as we all are such), but NOT the sin. And in this case, allowing gay marriage would infringe upon freedom of religion. Right now, homosexuals and the ACLU are filing lawsuits against the state, BUT how many would be filing lawsuits against the Church right now if Prop 8 had not passed? Since the Church will not marry homosexual couples, I'll bet the Church would be dealing with a good number of such lawsuits. And then would our temples be restricted from performing any marriages? Members needing to marry civilly first, then entering the temple later to be sealed? Would members not even be able to marry in our church buildings for the same reasons? It's possible, because the Church will NOT compromise principles. What a waste of money and time!

Besides, as it is in California, homosexuals have all the same visitation and inheritance rights as a married couple. They have "civil unions," but they just can't call themselves married. So what? Besides, they have the same right to marry as anybody... as long as the person they choose is of the opposite sex. And I, too, am restricted from marrying a lesbian. The difference is that I just don't have to deal with same-gender attraction, and many others do. Sadly, just as it is with any vice any one of us has to overcome, it's not something to embrace, but rather to fight and endure. Some may even conquer, but not all.

I doubt anyone will read this, and I hope nothing here offends anyone who actually does. But I needed to get all this off my chest-- I think Kev's sick of hearing me ranting and raving around the house.

6 comments:

Michele said...

I appriciate your words very much! I have had a hard time with this myself, my sister in California was very oppossed to prop 8 and has had many angry and frustrated words. You said some things I hadn't thought about I hope you don't mind I copied your words and sent them to my sister.

Sarah Oman said...

i know that your rant wasn't really meant for anyone else but yourself, but I thought that it was well written and I totally understand what you are saying. It seems like it is just a one way street when it comes to "protesting". I really don't think that you would see and LDS person picketing outside a homosexual ceremony. Geez, people can't just move on, huh?

The Less Extreme Couponer said...

I appreciated your post Krissy! It's so difficult for me that I had to make a decision like that for what other people could/ could not do but bottom line for me was that I knew I had to follow what Heavenly fathers plan was and when asked to make a decision regarding that, I HAVE to stand up for what the Lord would want. Unfortunately I know that decision has hurt some people and all I can hope is that they may realize in the Lords presence that I was trying to help them. I always say my duty on this earth is just to show and love everyone and so it was hard for me to have to make a decision for someone elses life like that but in the end I feel like I did the right thing.

FWmom said...

nope- your faith was not alone- they were outside Catholic churces too threatening to burn them down
its pretty sad
-ronnie

FWmom said...

and you know- if Obamas stupid pro-choice plan thing evolves- it could force faith based hospital systems to perform abortions or face legal action if they dont! i kwo this is off your topic- but i just wnated to get that out!

Unknown said...

I wish I would have read this before our HTing visit!