Saturday, November 1, 2008

Just the Facts

Okay, I'm pretty sure everyone knows I have conservative political views. If not, well, now you do. I have listened to Obama, read liberal blogs, listened to a bit of conservative talk radio, read the newspaper... I may not be super knowledgeable, but I know enough to have an opinion that I disagree with Obama on...well... nearly everything.

But in spite of that, do you what really bothers me? I have gotten email after email about how Obama shouldn't be the president because he's a Muslim (which he's not, by the way), or how he is the anti-Christ, or how we shouldn't vote for him because he doesn't believe we're a Christian nation, which by the way I don't either-- we were founded on Christian principles by Christian men not to be a Christian nation, but rather to be a place free from religious tyranny where all could worship God as they please, and I think it's a beautiful thing that our country welcomes all religions (if not, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints would not exist-- we may know we're Christian, but all too many do not agree). Declaring our country to have a national religion is exactly what our forefathers were trying to flee.

If you have been one to send me one of these emails, know that I still love you. I still respect you. Please forgive me for my boldness.

But here's my point... Shouldn't we be voting according a candidate's policies and philosophies? I want to get opinions based on solid facts, perhaps even with references. I don't want hearsay or speculation regarding a candidate's stance with God. And in my opinion, stuff like that just gives liberals more ammo about how conservatives are religious wackos.

So in the words of Joe Friday, "All we want are the facts, ma'am."

No comments: