So Obama won. Apparently the majority of Americans disagreed with people like me-- they really want a trip to the doctor to be like a trip to the DMV, or want government to steal (and yes, I do believe it's stealing) money from the wealthy to give to the poor ("We're gonna force those greedy bloodsuckers to be charitable, dagnabit!"), or believe that government really does know how to spend our money better than we do.
Okay. I can accept that. We as a nation will learn over the next four years what all that really does for us. At least we know it's going to be darn difficult for the Democrats to blame everything that goes wrong on the Republicans. They'll find a way, of course, since blaming is what politicians do best, but it ain't going to be easy. They'll have to get a bit creative.
But I'm not depressed, crying in my root beer. I'm just darn grateful that we don't vote for one's life-term. It's only four years. Yes, a lot can happen in four years. But again, it's only four years. It's not the end of the world. I really don't believe that in four years we will turn into a communist nation, or even a true socialist nation. Obviously the American people wanted some serious change, and we'll see if the change we get is really the change they wanted.
I am comforted knowing, though, that I still have my family, my Church, and my God. What happens in those realms government can't (and won't, I believe) touch. The American people won't allow that. Kevin and I can still bring our children up with true principles and correct morals, attend church and the temple, and pray to our God. Our home will remain our sanctuary. I have no doubts about that.
Yes, I do wish that more of the American people had not been so deperate for change that they would go for Obama's ideas of such, but I've voted and done my part, so there's nothing I can do about it now... except respect him as the next president of the United States. We will pray for him, just as we have done for President Bush. Whining about it will just make us bitter and angry. Plus, as I mentioned before, we still have ultimate control over our little family unit. It's not like China, where some government official is going to steal away for life one of our toddlers with Olympic potential (wow, am I grateful to be here!).
Although I have told Kevin, that we had better do something darn fun on my birthday next year.*
* My birthday is January 20th, for those that didn't know.**
** January 20th is always Inauguration Day, for those that didn't know that either.
2 years ago


2 comments:
your right! we did our part- we voted - now i am doing lots and lots and lots more praying!!!!!!!
and trying not to do somuch crying-- and remembering its only 4 years--- the time it takes to graduate high school!!!
that went fast didn't it???
Thanks for your post, and I absolutely agree with you. Although I did not vote for Obama, and really did not want him to win, all I can do now is pray for him, and hope that he proves me wrong!
Post a Comment