Friday, June 22, 2007

Surgery Bites

I just barely walked in the door-- spent the morning at Wuesthoff getting hacked open. Okay, so it really wasn't that bad. I'll back up a bit... After having Allie, I realized my belly button was, for some odd reason, permanently an "outie." I had thought it would go back down, but figured since pregnancy and child birth tend to jack up your body, that my new "outie" was completely normal. My mom didn't think so, and encouraged me to ask my doctor about it. It took some nagging, but I finally talked to Dr. Foster... after I found out I was pregnant with Sami. I said, with this "you're going to think my mom is crazy" tone, "So, my belly button never went back down after giving birth to Allie, and my mom thinks it's a hernia." I'm sure I even had a smirk on my face.

He said, "Really. Hmm..." He walked over poked his finger through my belly button, and said, "Yup, it sure is a hernia. Small, but it's there."

The smirk faded. Dang it, my mom was right! She'll never let me live this down.

He told me I really should have it repaired after the birth of the baby, and I figured because of the use of anesthesia that I should wait till I was done nursing, too.

Anyway, so that's where I ended up this morning-- patching up a big (all right, small-- very small) hole in my abs right behind my belly button. To be precise it was an umbilical hernia. I hurt, and Kev's out with the girls rounding me up some Loritab. But I admit the pain is nothing compared to that of a C-section. So, I'll live. What really kills me, though, is that I'm not supposed to lift Sami for, like six weeks. Right. What, is she supposed to Spider-Man-it into her crib everyday? I don't think so.

Man, just two weeks ago, too, the same doctor removed a cyst from a location I will not reveal. Maybe this guy just finds enjoyment in seeing my guts.

2 comments:

Emma said...

Ouch. I'm sorry. I hope you can heal quickly and Sami doesn't have to crawl out of her crib;)

Unknown said...

Oh honey I feel like such a slacker I've been meaning to ask you how they both went and then . . . well I'm a slacker. Let me know if you need anything! I am just right here.