Friday, June 1, 2007

Drat!

This weekend is stake conference, with the typical adult session being held tomorrow night, and then the general session on Sunday. For every adult session they have gotten the Young Women to babysit, so that it's actually an adult session. Plus, people don't have to be fighting over babysitters, or pay someone to be able to attend a church function without their children, since that is the whole point of the meeting in the first place. It always killed me in Wymount, BYU Student Family Housing, of all places, when the stake presidency would schedule an adult stake conference session... in a stake where there aren't any Young Women to even pay to watch your kids. And it's not like you could ask a friend to watch them, 'cause they were supposed to be at the meeting, too. So, the "adult" session ended up being full of screaming children, just like the session for families the next day.

After Kev got home this evening, he played with the girls for a bit, then messed around looking at some basketball highlights on You Tube. Finally he came in the kitchen where I was working and said, "I've got some bad news." Coming from Mr. Sunshine, that's never a good sign.

"Apparently, they're not having babysitting tomorrow night at the adult session."

"What?! I've been telling people there will be babysitting! And what are we going to do, 'cause we're both singing in the choir? Besides, that hasn't been announced to people, and guaranteed people are going to make that 30-minute drive with their kids in their PJs, thinking Young Women are going to be there to watch them. And, how is the Bishop supposed to get that message across to the entire ward by tomorrow?" I know I sort of bit Kevin's head off about it. I'll admit I'm bugged. I know it's not his fault, but I suppose I jumped down his throat a bit because he didn't seem to care all that much, which made me feel guilty for caring so much. It's almost like I felt like I had to convince him that it was a big deal.

I tried to email the bishop to see if he has any insights into this dilemma, but I haven't gotten a response yet. But I suppose I should start preparing for the worst, and come up with a plan to deal with this... rather than sitting here like a geek complaining to you all.

1 comment:

Scotty K said...

Bring the girls up to the choir seats with you to show what happens when "whoever" fails in a committment to provide babysitting. It will be a rockin' good time!