Tuesday, June 12, 2007

A Simple Testimony

Last night we had our last choir practice of the season until mid-August. We've been practicing for our upcoming "gig" this coming Sunday to sing the prelude for the Florida Day service at the National Cathedral in Washington DC. After running through our entire program, David wanted to go through the beginning of each piece. See, our program is a capella, and rather than using the pitch pipe to play each starting note, he'll merely be playing the the "key" note (if there's a more technical name for it, I don't know it), and we have to find our notes from there.

After getting only halfway through the program, David noticed we were having issues with phrasing. He worked with us on it for about ten minutes, and then, as he often does, used the Mormon Tabernacle Choir as an example, in this case, of terrific phrasing. He adores MoTab. He went on about how amazingly their phrasing is in spite of having 300 people. Then one of the men, a really nice guy, chimed in with his usual dry wise-crack.

"And they're not even Christians!" Everyone laughed. I shook my head, with a smirk on my face, and turned a bit red. Unfortunately, although I knew he was just kidding, and Nancy reassured me of this, comments like that get my blood boiling a bit.

Trying to smooth-over the awkwardness of the moment, especially since I really don't think he knew there were any "Mormons" in the bunch, I waved my hand in the air in "sista" fashion, and blurted out, smiling, "Oh, don't even go there!" They all laughed harder. David also tried to smooth things over, by saying how he has never seen a group of people so dedicated to their religion and their families as members of the Church, which I thought was very kind. My wise-cracking friend couldn't leave it there, though...

"No matter how many wives they have!" Oy.

David smiled and said, "Don't even go there! Well, I think we're done here."

"Good call!" I said to him.

I really do know it was all in good fun, but at the same time, I'm sure my friend's comments reflect what he's been taught-- what many Christians have been taught. We've been told by Christians that we worship Joseph Smith, that we don't believe in the Bible, that we don't believe Jesus Christ is our Savior, and that (this is the kicker) that we're brainwashed. Well, for those that want to know, here is my testimony...

I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior. I know that through the Atonement, he suffered not only for our sins, but felt each one of our pains, frustrations, disappointments that he might better succor his people. I know that it is only through Him, that it is possible for us to return to live with our Father in Heaven. Just as Paul said that it is only through grace, the grace of Christ, that we are saved. If the Atonement did not occur, there is no way, that by our own merits we would be able to return home. Nonetheless, while it is by faith in Him that we accept that grace, it is also recorded in James, "...faith, if it hath not works, is dead..."

I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. I know that while yet a young boy he saw God the Father and his Son, Jesus Christ-- two distinct, separate beings, but one in heart and mind. I know, that just like the prophets of old, he was called of God-- literally by God, like Moses or Abraham or Samuel. I know that the Book of Mormon is holy scripture, not to take the place of the Bible, but to be a companion to the Bible. Ezekiel talked of the "stick of Joseph" and "the stick of Judah" becoming one. The Book of Mormon tells the story of descendants of Joseph of Egypt that crossed the sea to come to the American continent to avoid the destruction of Jerusalem at the time of the reign of Zedekiah. Being the "other sheep" that would "hear (his) voice," spoken of in John, their decedents saw and heard their risen Lord and felt His wounds. For them, just as He had done in Jerusalem, He organized His church, giving the new apostles the same Priesthood authority He had given in the old world. I know the Book of Mormon is that stick of Joseph, and I know the Bible is that stick of Judah.

Have I been taught these things? Of course. But have I just left it at that? Not at all. In the Church we are taught of doctrines and principles, and are encouraged to ponder them and pray about them, on our own, privately, that we might gain our own witness of their truthfulness. I have done just that, and the Spirit, the Holy Ghost, has born that witness to me, through a powerful, invigorating burning of the bosom, that these things are true.

In bearing my testimony, I have not meant offend. I have only desired to share what is in my heart, especially in light of last night's happenings. Perhaps many of you now have a desire to Bible-bash with me, but I refuse to do that. I don't claim to be any expert when it comes to the scriptures. My testimony is not a matter of who was more convincing-- the Church or other Christian sects. It is a matter of what the Lord, through the Holy Ghost, has spoken to my heart.

Wow, that turned much more serious than I was originally planning. If you're now looking for something light-hearted, read the next post. :)

2 comments:

Emma said...

Glad you shared! Good luck with your "gig" It sounds like fun!

Unknown said...

I can't read for the tears. Thanks for that. I like you Krissy Smith!