Allie and Sami had their annual check-ups with the pediatrician today. Since Allie will be starting Kindergarten in the Fall, she needed to get the rest of her immunizations-- all five of them. That's right, five separate pokes in the thighs. My brave Allie lost it a bit when she saw the pile of syringes lying in the container the nurse carried in. Her lip quivered and she looked at me with pleading eyes, "That's too many, Mom! Not that many!"
I hugged her and asked her to be cooperative, but she fought it. I had to put her on the table, the nurse helping to get her pants down. I bent down to hug her, and she threw her arms around my neck, squeezing my head into hers, all the while whimpering in fear. The whimpers of fear soon turned to whimpers of pain and the nurse began the torture. But to Allie's credit, she never screamed or moved-- just kept her arms tight around my neck while I sang in her ear.
Then the nurse was done. Allie sat up and looked sadly at her legs, covered in Tweety-bird Band-Aids. Slowly, she got her pants back on as the nurse left the room. Then Sami started bawling. I looked over at her.
"Sami, what's the matter with you?"
She howled. "They didn't give me a shot!"
In convinced her that she'd be able to get a flu shot in the Fall. That seemed to appease her some.
2 years ago


6 comments:
funny story! when kendall had her kinder shots i had to hold her down and she was violent- i thought she was going to bite the nurse!!
I think it's a real cruelty that they have to have soooo many shots. My heart broke when I read how she said "Too many!" Tell her I totally agree and a big thumbs up for enduring well!!
That was a cute story!!!
Awwww... reminds me when I was that age... I saw the needle and no way were they coming near me with that... I threw everyone off of me and then they had to bring in 4 male nurses to hold me down!
Allie is definitely better than me!
Poor Allie! Man, I can't believe 5 shots! When I was 6 we moved down to FL and I had to get more shots and that finger stick. I fought the nurse so much, that she ened up sticking her own finger! She was not happy with me!
Yup, still playing catch up . . .
Oh, that store breaks my heart! Alyssa decided at her 4-year check-up to save immunizations until age 5, but for a while she wouldn't stop talking about it, she was dreading it so much! I hope she can just forget about it for awhile . . .
(That's hilarious Sami was crying though :)
Post a Comment