Monday, April 20, 2009

An update (FINALLY)

That darn Facebook. Have been wasting entirely too much time posting messages on my "wall" or looking at other friends' walls, commenting on their own messages or pictures. Facebook is a great tool to find people, to keep in touch with friends you don't want to lose-- to be in contact with a whole lot of people without having to call or email each one of them. But it can also be a wonderful waste of time, if used in excess like I have been doing. Moderation, Krissy... moderation. Somehow, though, I have found it to be extremely relaxing to do after Sami and Drew go down for their naps. Although, writing is also therapeutic for me, as well as productive, so I suppose I need to be doing more of that... which is why I'm here... and why I've just closed the Facebook tab I had open. I'm not an addict... I'm not an addict...

As for a family update, I'll start with March. Not much happened in February. Yeah, there was Valentine's Day, which turned out to be a bust anyway. We had planned to go out together, even lined up a sitter, when Sami decided to run a fever that day. So we canceled the sitter and ordered pizza.

Back to March... Allie turned 5 on the 4th. Speaking of her being 5, I just took her (and the whole crew) over to the school (walked, actually, since the school is right around the corner from our house) to register her for Kindergarten for the Fall. I'm blown away by how grown up she is. Although, there is some protocol she still needs to learn. For example, after I finished filling out paperwork, we began to walk out when Allie needed to go potty. The nurse directed her to the bathroom inside the nurse's station, where a little boy was sitting waiting for his dad to come get him. Allie opened up the bathroom door and began pulling her pants down with the door wiiiide open. She got her pants 3/4 of the way down her bum crack when I noticed, running over to close the door. The little boy was a "wee" bit (ha) horrified by seeing my daughter's naked bum. Not that it's not cute, but just that Allie didn't care about showing it to the world.

Anyway, on her birthday we took the family to The Magic Kingdom of Disney World. I was glad we were able to go, since Sami came down with the stomach flu just three days before Allie's birthday. Sami was sick up through Tuesday evening, but woke up fine Wednesday morning. So we piled everyone in the car, and prayed no one else would come down with it. We had talked up this whole Disney day-trip with Allie, so even if Sami had still been sick, I would have sent Allie and Kevin by themselves. The park was busy as usual, but the girls got some good training on what it means to wait in a long line patiently. Allie rode Thunder Mountain Railroad with Kevin, but didn't really like it all that much-- she wasn't really scared, but it was just too rickety. The roller-coaster in Toon Town, the Barnstormer, was more up her alley. All five of us rode The Pirates of the Caribbean, with Sami on my lap, her head buried in my shoulder, most of the time. Allie took a bunch of good pictures there with the kiddie digital camera she got as a birthday present. I'd show them to you, but she deleted them all before I could transfer them to the computer.

Two weeks later Sami celebrated her 3rd birthday. I had planned on us just celebrating at home with the five of us, with pizza and cake and a few presents, of course. But then Allie said, "Mom, tomorrow's Sami's birthday-- we need to have a party!" A party? Ugh. So, I asked Sami who three of her favorite friends were, knowing she has way more than three. She said Morgan, Mattie, and Janie. I called up their moms and invited their families over for pizza and cake the next evening. I set up the kiddie pool for the kids, even though a cold front ended up blowing through that day. I'm so lazy when it comes to inventing and throwing parties, so the last-minute thing works best for me anyway. Then I have an excuse for not being creative.

The weekend before Sami's birthday, our little family went camping all together for the first time at the ward camp out. It's true, Kevin and I had not been camping together since a year before we had children, six years ago. Drew did great-- slept like a... um... baby? He had no problems. Sami seemed to sleep well, too, but Allie and I were up most of the night. We had our tent set up right behind a fat palm tree. Earlier in the evening at twilight, I went around to the tent door, which faced the tree, to be caught off guard by a huge raccoon climbing the trunk. That night all I heard was rustling in the dirt all around the tent along with the "chirping" of a family of 'coons searching for their dinner... or breakfast... or whatever meal it is in the middle of the night.

Wow, looking back at the month's pictures just now, I was reminded that we need to get back to the zoo. They have a new kid's area called Paws On, with water-play area that was great fun for the girls. The day we went, I called up Jill, and she came with Janie and Alice to play with the girls. Drew hardly made a peep the entire two hours or so.

Kevin's parents made it into town a couple weeks ago. I can't remember if I mentioned this, but they were called on a Church mission to Deseret Ranch, a massive cattle ranch owned by the Church out here. They basically live just up the road a bit. Okay it's more like 25 miles or so, but still... They spent Easter dinner with us, and came to my choir concert yesterday afternoon. And speaking of the concert, it went well... kind of. We had a few issues that starting right in the very beginning where the sopranos are to begin singing Pergolesi's Magnificat immediately with the orchestra, but David forgot to give us our starting note before cueing the instrumentalists to play. We came in randomly when we realized he wasn't stopping. He looked over at us and mouthed "Sorry." Gill Streatfield and I sang the "Laudamus Te" duet in Vivaldi's Gloria. I prayed that the Lord would just help me to have fun with it, and we did. That was one of the few times where I sang without having to battle nerves. We also sang Bach's Cantata No. 4. It's not easy music to sing, and even harder music to sit through (if you ask me), and our kids sat through all of it! The Stephenson family from the ward brought all five of their kids, and they did really well, too. Yesterday evening after the concert as the girls and I sat down to our dinner that had (thankfully) been in the Crock-pot waiting for us, I asked, "Did you like the concert?"

"Mm-hm." They nodded.

"What was your favorite part?"

Both of them said the same thing. "When you sang, Mom." Then they smiled. The little charmers.

"Really? Aw, thanks, girls."

Then Sami piped in. "I want you to win, Mom. I want you to win the whole fing!" I still haven't been able to convince Sami that I'm no longer in the running for Florida Today's Next Big Thing. She can't figure out why she can't watch the video of me singing "Lost in Your Eyes" on the internet anymore.

But that reminds me that a lady after the concert yesterday told me she saw my video and voted for me. I smiled and thanked her... and felt like an idiot. I don't know why I felt that way-- just did, though.

2 comments:

Heather said...

It sounds like you guys had a blast at Disney. It was fun to read all about what you guys have been up to.

Janet said...

It was fun reading your post! Looks like the girls had a lot of fun on their birthdays! PS I voted for you tons of times...I think you should have been the winner!