Monday, April 13, 2009

The Easter Bunny

All the talk on friends' blogs of Easter morning and the visit from the Easter Bunny reminded me...

Just over a week ago, my visiting teacher Tina came by with her daughter Kylie who was home from Utah for spring break (Kylie used to babysit the girls). At one point during the visit, Tina turned to the girls. She asked them what holiday was coming.

"Easter!" they sang, jittery with glee.

"Who's coming to see you?"

Blank stares.

"Is the Easter Bunny coming?" Again, blank stares. Tina proceeded with a story about when the Easter Bunny came to their house when Kylie was little. In hunting for eggs in the backyard, Kylie found "rabbit poop" (small pebbles that looked like poop)-- proof that the Easter Bunny had indeed been there.

Allie was amused and smiled graciously. But she's also blunt. "Why would you have a bunny in your backyard?" Tina and Kylie chuckled. But I almost fell on the floor laughing. I looked at Tina, who looked very much confused.

Through my laughter, I was able to get out, "Tina, they have no clue what you're talking about."

That's right, everyone. My children have no idea who the Easter Bunny is! It's not something Kevin and I have really ever even thought to include in our Easter traditions. Seriously, we've never even talked about it.

Too late now, I guess. They already know where all the candy comes from.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, we skipped right over the Easter bunny too...

Diane said...

Girl, we don't have an easter bunny either. The kids know we hold an egg hunt on Saturday and then Easter Sunday is all about Christ's resurrection. But they keep it hush hush around their friends. See, their friends all "believe" in the easter bunny. One less make-believe character to fess up about in the future...like the tooth fairy and Santa...oops, hope that didn't just ruin someone's Christmas. :)