But, boy, am I glad he came out when he did! I was so uncomfortable. After the doc stitched me up following the c-section, the nurses warned me not to work my abs too much for a while-- they had to stitch up some abdominal muscles I apparently had torn. Gee, no wond
er I was in excruciating pain so often! And here I thought it was just round ligament pain.So little Drew Nathaniel was born Sunday December 7th at 7:49am. He weighed 8 lbs. 11 oz., and was 21 1/2 in. long. As much as that's a good-size kid, he wasn't huge, which is what I was expecting. A
fter all, Kevin had weighed 9lbs. 12 oz. at birth, so I was expecting a monster of a baby. But he was only an ounce bigger than Sami had been.
I had been scheduled for a c-section on the 9th, but started feeling sporadic contractions on the 5th, the day of Allie's ballet recital. I prayed I could just make it to see Allie dance, and I did.
Then the next evening the contractions suddenly became regular, consistent-- three minutes apart, lasting nearly a minute each. I called the doctor on call, and in spite of how close the contractions were, he didn't seem concerned-- just told me to rest and drink some hot tea or water to see if they slowed. I drank some water while resting on the couch, and they did seem to slow a bit. So I went to bed. I awoke at about 1:30a
m, the contractions having returned. Thirty minutes later I woke Kevin up to time me, and the contractions just continued to intensify-- one minute twenty-five seconds apart, lasting one minute. I could no longer really talk through them. I knew we had to get to the hospital, so we came up with a short list of people we could call in the middle of the night to stay here with the girls. We called Linda Samuels. She answered on the first ring, and was here within twenty minutes.By the time we got the the hospital, it was after three. The nurse in labor and delivery got my belly hooked up to a monitor and stuck me with an IV. Her reasoning was that they'd get me started as if I were going to have a c-section, hoping the IV fluid would slow down the contractions so they could send me home-- since it was the weekend, the doctor on call was delivering for my doctor, and everyone involved preferred for me to be delivered by my doctor. That was not to be.
Five o'clock rolled around, and the contractions continued at the same pace, the pain only having intensified. With each contraction I would grab the mattress on the hospital bed, whimpering, trying to relax the rest of my body. It was excruciating. And with them coming at me every minute, I had little relief. Each time a contraction would end, I'd immediately fall asleep just to be awakened by another contraction a minute later. By this time, the nurse knew I needed to deliver, so she called the doctor and anesthesiologist. Both were on their way. Little did anyone know that right when the anesthesiologist would walk in, he would be summoned to the ER because of the victims of a gun war that had just come in. Lovely. The nurse checked my progress with the thought that if I had been progressing rapidly enough she cou
ld tell the ER that I was just as much of an emergency. I was dilated to a 1. A one! That's it! After all that pain! Typical. I was not a priority.The nurse wanted to cry for me, so she put some medicine in the IV that "took t
he edge" off the contractions a bit... and made me dizzy-- so much that I could only sleep to keep from being cross-eyed. So I slept through the next hour of contractions. By then the anesthesiologist was ready for me, and I was finally prepped for the c-section. And by 7:49 we had a baby boy! I didn't even realize they had pulled him out at first. He didn't cry. H
e had swallowed meconium, and needed to be suctioned out before crying to keep any of it from entering the lungs.
After the nurse had wheeled me into recovery, Kev came in with the baby name book in hand. Yes, it's true-- we still hadn't picked a name. He said he came across a name he kind
of liked-- Drew. Huh. Drew. I liked it, too. So after a day of mulling it over, we went with it. Nathaniel being the middle name of one of Kevin's ancestors, Jesse Nathaniel Smith.My parents ca
me to help several days after Drew was born. They stayed for a week, washing dishes, doing laundry, taking Allie to school, driving me to doctor's appointments, keeping the girls entertained, etc. Allie's school Christmas sing-along program was that week, so they got to see her sing with her class. They left several days before Christmas.
Unfortunately, Dad came down with a nasty case of the flu a few days before they left. He spend those last days here sleeping, occasionally emerging briefly to get a drink of water.This was the first Christmas we've had with such a small baby, but at least we didn't have to travel, nor did we have to entertain. We spent half the day in our PJs. Quite nice, actually.


12 comments:
Congratulations! He is adorable. I LOVE the one of him in the BYU shirt - so cute :)
Oh my goodness!!!!! I wanted to cry for you reading the event! So how many weeks were you when you delivered? Did your water break and all? I can't believe you were only at 1cm after all of that! You must have been so discouraged. L&D was not meant for the faint of heart was it?! I am glad everything turned out ok and you have a wonderful, healthy baby boy! I am still baffled by your experience, can you tell. LOL :)
Glad to hear the whole story...and even happier that he came safe and sound. Sorry he isn't the most content little baby - hopefully it won't last too long. At least he is cute!!
What a beautiful baby boy. Congratulations!
Oh Krissy! I'm so glad we're still on your e-mail list. Your blog is delightful. I shall add it to my blog subscriptions list. I'm so sad that you had to go through all that labor AND have to deal with a C-section too. You should only have to have one or another.
Congratulations! Drew is a cute little guy! I'm sorry you had so much pain waiting for your c-section.
Just reading about your experience again, makes me cringe. What a crazy and painful ordeal you went through. Good thing the final outcome was so dang cute! Glad he made it here safely! Congrats again.
congratulations~
i love reading birth stories.
he is beautiful
Congratulations Krissy! Your labor experience sounds just like my last one. Hours and hours of painful contractions, thought for sure I was dilated to an 8, but NOPE, I was not even dilated AT ALL! I felt like such an idiot, it being by 4th you'd think I'd have this labor thing down pat. And, we also didn't have a name picked out yet. So, I could totally relate! Glad it all went well. LOVE the BYU onesie!
Congrats, Drew is so handsome!
I can't wait to meet him :)!
I'm glad that the girls are behaving better now. I love your pictures!
Congratulations, he is just lovely.
Baby Drew is such a handsome baby - I can't wait to meet him!
I don't know if the relating of your labor story (horror) was to sacre me away from finding a man and having babies or not BUT, it won't work! My sister has tried 3 times and I'm still hoping! :)
Post a Comment