Wednesday, October 10, 2007

In the Past Month

I don't know what it is, but sometimes I think Blogger hates me. It won't let me log in for weeks at a time, then I can log in for a few weeks, then I can't log in, can log in, etc. So, I've been waiting until I could log in to be able to whip up an update, and guess what? I still couldn't log in! Ah, but how am I posting this, you say? Well, I did something ultra stealthy, but I'm not sure why it worked. I tried to create a blog (not really, but I wanted to see where it would take me), had to log in to my Gmail account through Blogger to do so, then clicked on the "home" link at the bottom of the first set-up page it took me to, and... voila, I'm logged in. What the...? I don't know what happened. Don't ask.

I know it has been a while since I've written anything, but having started a new independent study class, I've been a bit busy. I have been writing, but just not publicly. It's actually a creative writing class. Maybe I'll post my recent personal essay on here or something. Just don't laugh at it. Although if you did I wouldn't know. Just don't tell me you've laughed at it then.

Anyhow, as always I really enjoyed General Conference this past weekend. I especially needed President Eyring's talk. Perhaps it's all too easy for me to forget, or set aside, the miracles and blessings in my life when I'm challenged with a new, or even ongoing, trial-- when I think I'm emotionally spent, and that I must be completely alone in this because "it's not getting any better." I cannot forget of the Lord's love for me, and must always remember the many times that love has been proven to me. I think the most powerful part of Conference, is not so much the inspiring words we hear, but that those words are inspired-- that the men and women that deliver the messages, have been called of God by authority, and have the inspiration by that same authority to tell us what the Lord wants us to hear. I was taught years ago that one way to approach Conference is to come with a question-- one you've been seeking an answer to. And that question will be answered. President Eyring answered my question, and I have a renewed resolution to not forget God.

I wish Kev could have enjoyed Conference with the girls and me, but he was at his second (and last) weekend session of Wood Badge training for Scouts-- yeah, gone from before dawn on Friday through Sunday. At least it it was the last weekend. His first was in September... the day after he returned from a five day business trip in Boston. Ack. He did get to go to Fenway Park, though, and see the Red Sox play the Devil Rays, with a home run ball landing a few rows from him and John. They had to buy their tickets from a scalper, which left him with no money for food at the game, but who cares? He was at Fenway Park! After spending a week alone, I decided to spend the weekend with my great-aunts and uncles in the Villages. It was a nice break from loneliness-- riding in the golf cart, dancing at the town square, looking at old photos, eating food I didn't have to make. Allie was pretty disappointed when it was time to go.

Man, I really hate it when Kev's gone. I spend way too much time thinking about how I'm going to outsmart and rip apart any fruitcake that tries to get in my house. I have a very active and vivid imagination, which can be such a drag at times. Obviously Allie has inherited this, from all the time she spends off in dreamland-- it's like she's in this never-ending musical, singing and flitting about, and all the yelling in the world can't snap her out of it. Anyhow, Kev's glad Wood Badge is basically done, but he did have a good time. Sang in a quartet for the Sacrament Meetings on both weekends-- the quartet including his office mate and my old BYU Women's Chorus director. How fun is that? The other guy was random, but I think it's great that he got to do that.

Kev also celebrated his 31st birthday. He told me he didn't want a cake, but I made one secretly anyway and took it to the church. Conveniently, I had a meeting at the church at the same time he had Scouts, so I snuck the cake in the back of the Subaru before he got home from work, and then we drove separately to the church in anticipation of me getting done first. After my meeting, I got the cake ready in the kitchen, handed out goofy hats to whomever wanted to sing with us, crept up to the Scout room with the girls and a few others, and burst in singing "Happy Birthday." Yeah, kinda lame, but he thought it was sweet, and I was able to get rid of a bunch of the cake between the Scouts and other random people wandering the halls.

So, that's it. Nothin' fancy, but we're happy, and that's all that matters.

No comments: