Last night after putting my book down in anticipation of finally going to bed, an image of Allie popped into my head. I smiled and chuckled to myself as I saw this very vivid mental picture.
After getting off the plane Friday, I realized how late it was and that we hadn't eaten lunch earlier that day. Now it was past dinnertime. It would take just over an hour to drive home once we finally reached our car, and rather than letting Allie fall asleep, just to rouse her at home to feed her, I gave in and searched out the most convenient fast food place on the way to baggage claim. It happened to be McDonald's-- not my favorite, but tolerable. I got Allie a Happy Meal, as well as food for me, and we waited around till they had it ready. As soon as I could grab it, I did, holding my own food and drink and giving Allie hers to hold. I told Allie to hurry and stay with me, since we needed to catch the tram to get to baggage claim. And I started speed walking to the tram, hoping the doors wouldn't shut just as we approached. Of course, Allie wasn't next to me, so I stopped to give her time to catch up. I turned around.
Allie in her light blue gigantic Disney Princess backpack was walking as quickly and carefully as she could with one hand keeping her drink steady, and the other hand clutching her bag of food. She kept her eyes on her orange drink, obviously concerned about spilling it. Her little three-year-old legs moved quickly, for her, as she calmly called out, "Wait, Mama."
I don't know why the image so suddenly entered my mind last night, but I'm sure glad it did. It gave me a smile.
2 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment