Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Yearly Check-ups

I took the girls to see Dr. Nguyen yesterday for their 1-year and 3-year check-ups. While I was nervous about the visit for Sami, with all of her due vaccinations, I was kind of looking forward to the experience for Allie. I knew she wasn't due for any shots, since the doctor told me she's not due for another 'til before Kindergarten, and this would be her first check-up as a "big" kid-- no baby scales, no measuring "length" with a measuring tape. I just wish she'd really take on that "big kid" status and lose those dang diapers. I laughed when they tried to measure her height up against the wall.

"Okay, Allie, stand up against the wall." She stared at the wall, and slowly walked toward it, very deliberately, face first.

"No, honey, turn around." She slowly and carefully turned around, making sure not to move her neck, only moving her eyes to look at me and find approval that she was following directions. Too bad she was still a foot away from the wall at that point.

"Back up, sweetheart." So she leaned her head up against the wall. Of course her feet didn't move.

"All right, now move your feet back." One foot goes back. "Now the other one, too... that's right." Then as they moved the marker down to her head, she stood perfectly still, anxious as if her life depended on that very moment. After all, she had no clue what they were doing, and she still doesn't. All she knows is that Mom didn't seem worried about it, and that she came out alive-- must not be too bad!

Unfortunately, after talking with the doctor, I found out Allie really was due for a shot. Dang! So, after the doctor gave them their check-ups and left the room, I got the girls dressed and told Allie in a very matter-of-fact way that she would be getting a shot today. I was hoping she wouldn't remember the flu shot she got in December. Although, I was also hoping she'd react in the same way. After that shot, she winced, and then shouted for joy about the cool Tasmanian Devil Band-Aid the nurse gave her. So, I asked her if she would get her shot before Sami, and show Sami how to be a brave big girl. I scrunched up my face a bit, anticipating a negative reply, when she said, "Okay, Mom!"

The nurse came in, and I lifted Allie up to the table. I held her arms, and the nurse held her legs. The nurse warned her she feel a little owie, and then BAM! She nailed her. Allie winced and grunted, then... nothing! That was it! No crying, no screaming! And she looked down just to make sure that cool Band-Aid was there, and, yup, there it was-- a Sesame Street one this time. Wow! I was so proud of Allie. The nurse was hoping Sami's reaction would be the same, but I knew better. Sami screamed and screamed as the nurse drove two needles into her thighs. Then I picked her up and held her so the nurse could jam one into her arm as well. Sami turned and saw the third needle and screamed, clinging to me hoping I would protect her. It broke my heart-- little did she know that's what I was actually trying to do in allowing such pain. Perhaps that's what it's like for our Heavenly Father, who allows us to feel pain and sorrow because of the tailor-made lessons we have the opportunity to learn, which are far more valuable to us than if we had never felt pain at all. It's ultimately for our good, but like Sami in this case, it's often times difficult to understand that when, in the grand scheme of things and compared to the Almighty, we really understand very little. Isn't it interesting the insights we gain just from reflecting upon the day-to-day?

Anyhow, the girls survived, and getting a sticker at the end made the shot more than worth it for Allie-- it doesn't take much to turn her frowns upside down. And since I felt so bad about them having to get stabbed so ruthlessly, I took them to McDonald's for a McFlurry. Although, Allie was disappointed she wasn't getting a lollipop.

1 comment:

Scotty K said...

There is a great talk in that Doctor visit story!