I confess.
I don't run marathons... or triathlons. I don't even have a gym membership. It expired six years ago.
I don't eat solely organic foods, and I don't care a hoot about GMO's.
I don't make my girls' Christmas dresses, nor do I know how, do do I care to learn.
I don't can my own food or make my own beef jerky. I suppose I could learn, but I know myself. It would never get it done. Again, I don't care.
I don't homeschool my kids, or teach piano to my preschoolers.
I don't read books all that much. Shocking, considering I taught English, for crying out loud.
I don't build anything or sew very much, and I am no gourmet chef. And I have no prospects with which to start my own business.
I don't decorate my house with clever odds and ends, purchased from a garage sale and refurbished to look "shabby chic". Truthfully, my house isn't really "decorated" at all.
My house is nearly always a disaster, my carpets are always stained, and my walls are are all the same color (well, except for the scratches and scuffs).
I wear the same flip-flops everyday, my make-up sits in the case lonely and practically unused, my hair always needs trimming, and my clothes are generally made up of sale items or hand-me-downs.
So, go ahead. Look down on me if you want. Seriously, have at it.
Because I just don't care anymore. Or at least, I don't want to care.
No matter whatever few things I accomplish, somebody will always accomplish more. Someone will always be smarter, prettier, more talented, clever, or handy. But life isn't about me. Even my own life-- it isn't about me. And yet it is. The challenge is to just get over myself... while remembering how important I am.
I think about some of the most positively influential (and happy) people in the world-- Mother Teresa, the apostles, even our Savior Jesus Christ (who once was mortal, remember)-- and their impact was so far-reaching because they lost themselves. They didn't put themselves at the center of their own world.
(Ironic, really, in the case of the Savior, considering He created that world...)
Such people don't need constant validation. Such people don't need to compare or criticize or boast. They aren't even looking at themselves anyway. They aren't even the type to dwell on everything they aren't, because such thinking is vain. It's a waste of time and energy to dwell on such things.
Such people understand that their value is not truly equated with what they accomplish.
Their value is defined simply by the fact that they exist at all. That they are truly unique sons and daughters of God. That each is one-of-a-kind royalty-- from a mold that was broken the moment they came to be.
All of this temporal, superficial stuff just doesn't matter. Of course it does matter to always try to learn new skills and develop one's talents, but the extent to which I do that, or in what manner, really doesn't matter. It does not, because is should not, influence my view of my own worth.
So back to my challenge. Yeah, it's time to get over myself. I'm not Wonder Woman, and I never will be. Heck, I won't even come close really.
I will continue to just do the best I can... which may be different than your best. And I won't think twice about it. I need to do a lot less dwelling on me (for bad or good), and look past my own nose.
After all, it's not about me.
2 years ago


5 comments:
"The challenge is just to get over myself...while remembering how important I am." So true. It takes lots and lots of practice, doesn't it? It's liberating to get to that point of not being consumed by how you may or may not appear to other people. Just being you. Good luck on the journey...
It's okay. I'm not Wonder Woman either.
I am right there with you! While I do a few things on your list, I know I can't do all of them, nor do I have the desire to even attempt many of them. I do need to do a better job of focusing on what is really important. Thanks for the reminder.
You know, for the most part, being hard on myself isn't the biggest issue. For me, it is getting over what others think of me. My oldest guy is so strong-willed and stubborn that he has provided me with plenty of embarrassing situations in public. It has been so hard for me to learn to ignore the prying and judging eyes when he has a meltdown of one kind or another. I'm doing better, but it is still a process, that is for sure. I think we all just need to cut ourselves (and each other) a break and realize that life is hard. We are all just doing our best!
Amen! I confess, I look at you and wonder "How can I be like Krissy? She always seems to have it all together." I know you're not "Wonder Woman," but just know that you are an inspiration. :)
Post a Comment