Allie had to stay up a bit late tonight working on her homework. One of the assignments took her entirely too long to do, which was her own doing. "Write a story that includes the word 'pilfer'." That's it. One word. I asked her what on earth was taking her so long. I mean, come one, it's one dang word. She said the story could be as long as she wanted it to be. Translation-- write a novel. Okay, so it really wasn't that long, but still...
So, yes, she had to stay up a wee past her bedtime finishing up a math assignment, when I came across two graded reading tests in her folder. Both marked with a "C". Ouch. Although, I already knew about these grades after having seen them posted online the day before. But considering how much this kid loves to read, and knowing of her sharp "thinker", grades like this must have a story. When she finished her assignment I sat down to talk with her.
I told her I had seen her grades online and that she had all A's... except for one. She scrunched up her face, a sheepish smile crossing her lips. She muttered, "Was it reading?" I nodded and I showed her the tests. We talked about what happened, and figured she was reading the tests the same way she reads for enjoyment-- lightning fast, and without attention to detail. She also confessed that she tended to hurry through tests so that she could spend the extra time leftover reading. That kid would live in a library if I would let her. As long as she had a never-ending supply of quesadillas she would be good to go.
We took a few minutes and discussed some strategies to help her get through the tests. She seemed to feel better. More hopeful. I gave her a hug, and she looked up at me with her sweet blue eyes. Love poured out of them. No, it gushed out. She wrapped her arms around me and then off she went.
Earlier this evening, before I gathered the troops to the kitchen to clean up, Sami, the ringleader of fun (and mischief), had convinced Drew and Eve to dress up in socks, knitted caps, scarves, and gloves, to "ice skate" around the tile in the entry way. They looked absolutely ridiculous... and absolutely adorable.
And I thought, "I sure love my kids."
My house is a disaster, with a large refrigerator box "playhouse" practically smacking you in the face when you walk through the front door. Toys are scattered far from their "homes". I did straighten up the living room after all the kids were in bed, which means I just moved the mess-- threw some stuff in the toy room and set the rest by the kids' bedroom doors.
The mess used to really both me. I mean really bother me. Then I realized, finally, after having been told a zillion and half times by older friends and strangers alike, that this time of life passes way too quickly-- to just take time to really soak it in and enjoy it. When, at the end of the last school year, I saw that Allie would be soon moving on the fourth grade, I sort of panicked. Where did the time go? She is almost ten... I was then that I decided (yes, I made a conscious choice) to not let the mess bother me. I wouldn't allow it to depress me anymore. I knew that all too soon that mess would be gone. Forever. And, yes, I would miss it.
I remember years ago on one of our visits to my parents' house, when, after having only been there a day, the kids had managed to scatter every toy and book in their house from one end to the other. My dad walked in after work, looked around and started laughing. I apologized. He waved it off and said, "Nah. It just looks like there is life here again." And he smiled. It makes me teary to even remember that. I didn't get it at all then. But I am starting to get it now.
Too fast. It's all too fast.
My family brings me so much happiness. Yeah, I feel a lot of anger, too... along with frustration, sadness, and discouragement. But the happiness is unmatched. That is what I want to take with me. I want to look back on these days and say I loved it. Realistically, I could never love every moment, but I can choose to make more moments to love.
My four sweet babies... If any of you ever read this, know two things-- that I love you forever, and that I love being with you. You are happiness.
2 years ago


1 comment:
Krissy I am seriously crying right now. I have been frustrated by the same things you are saying, messes everywhere Violet becoming a little sassy. Lucia not wanting to use her words much and just screaming...Benicio always wanting to be held. Uggh. Thanks for putting it in proper prospective. Time goes by way to fast. Thanks again. Hugs to you and your family. We miss you all.
Post a Comment