Wednesday, February 8, 2012

It's Been a While

I rarely write anything anymore.  It's sad really.  Eve is almost six months old, and I have practically written nothing. 

She starting rolling over about a month ago, and I suspect crawling will come soon enough.  Much sooner than it did with Sami or Drew.  Sami just sat around, immobile and happy, till she was 11 months old, for crying out loud!  Drew wasn't too far behind that.  And it took them both forever to figure out how to roll.  I remember getting Sami up from her naps, the back of her head sweaty, her hair matted, and reeking of mildew... all because she didn't move.

Eve doesn't have this problem.  Plus she's bald.

Allie as a baby, hated being a baby.  Couldn't wait to get to the next step to help her be "big." She cried till she could sit up, and then was content until she realized something grander awaited her.  Then she wanted to crawl, then walk... It goes on.  Allie has highs and lows.  She is content with what she has until she realizes that she could have more.  At that point she isn't happy until gets gets it... or at least until she gets distracted and forgets about it for a while.

Eve doesn't seem to have this issue either. 

She enjoys life.  She's happy and patient.  But driven.  I can tell by the way she reaches and squirms to get a toy she wants.  She never cries out of frustration, but just keeps wiggling until she gets there.  That's not to say that she never cries.  She does.  But usually it's just when she's tired, or hungry, or poopy, or just wanting some company. 

Hopefully she can be a calming influence on her emotional-roller-coaster sisters who all too easily allow outside forces to control their happiness.  I sure hope they outgrow that.  I'd hate to see them live a miserable existence all because things don't go their way.  It scares me sometimes...

But, you know, in spite of their craziness, I have been blessed with some terrific kids. 

Allie is creative.  She makes vibrant and unique works of art.  She sings the songs of her heart-- composing as she goes about the house.  She's silly and fun.  Her laugh is happy and contagious.  She's a fantastic reader, and a respectful student.  She's outgoing and friendly, and all the kids at school that know her, love her... because she loves and accepts them.  No exceptions.  She is honest and full of integrity, going out of her way to find the owner of any ol' broken pencil she may find in the hall.  She has a heart of gold.

Sami is imaginative.  To her, a ratty washcloth might be a golden handkerchief or a magical napkin that takes her to a far-away fairy world.  And she takes any willing soul with her-- from her little brother to her 82-year-old great-grandfather.  She is graceful and musical.  She is charming and has a smile her friend Carter says is "beautiful."  She is playful, but conscientious about following rules.  She's compassionate and sensitive to others' feelings.  She loves Jesus and wants everyone to "know Him" just as she does. 

And then there's Drew.  Mr. Energetic.  He follows Sami like a puppy dog, playing along with whatever scheme she has concocted.  He doesn't mind pretending to be her Prince Charming or a Diego-like explorer.  He knows how to play Allie like a puppet, getting her to chase or tackle him, laughing and squealing all the way.  Any figurine, be it his Spider-Man or Buzz Lightyear or even one of the girls' Princes, shoots or fights or falls from great heights... and must be accompanied by some kind of superhero soundtrack that he enthusiastically hums all the way.   He loves music, and always slightly delays getting out of the car for preschool so he can listen to whatever music I have playing in there just a little bit longer.  He gives the best hugs.

As as for Eve...  Well, I think we all know I already believe she is an angel.  Literally.  I look at her and everyday plead with her to not change.  She is observant and quick.  Her smile is pure sunshine.  I think she really does emit Vitamin D, because I don't see how anyone could feel depressed around her.  Her radiant, beautiful face is just a hint at the amazing spirit she carries within her.  Oh, and her laugh!  If fairies really existed, she would have created the most stunning family of fairies with those giggles.

Ahhh...

Let me just take a moment and bask in the happy glow of my children's strengths...

Because in just a few short hours the two older ones will be home from school again, and then...  I'll just leave it at that.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

You have very sweet kids. It's fun to see their strengths and personalities continue to emerge as they get older. Now, if only those things could emerge without the terrible twos and the teenage years! Ha ha! I'm seriously afraid of Peter as a teenager.

Eve is a sweetie. Jonathan is like that for me. It's such a nice break after Peter's passion and energy! But then again, what would I do without Peter's passion and energy!?

The Lord sends us just what we need and what is best for us.

It's fun to hear how your family interacts with one another. They sound like they are good buddies. And I know that for me and my brothers and sisters, that was the case for us and it was the best thing ever! You always had a friend or a buddy. Your kids will too.

Emma said...

It's good to hear from you! You do have some amazing kids! Thanks for shating!

mattandhonor said...

What a great write up!! Good to have you "back"!