Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Joy of Singing

Since June, Allie has been taking a group singing class over at the Henegar Center in Downtown Melbourne. My friend Rosie from the Chamber Singers teaches the class. Yesterday morning, the kids had their recital, performing the spirituals they had learned, as well as the hand bell pieces. The recital was also a variety show, showcasing special numbers the kids themselves had prepared. After two weeks of mulling it over, Allie decided on "Castle on a Cloud" from Les Miserables. She sang it beautifully! And I give her a huge "kudos" for having the courage to get up and sing it in front of a huge group of people. But we had a talk about how the gift of singing is meant to be used to bring joy to others (as well as ourselves), and performing for others is how we can do just that. We prayed that she would just have fun and do her best. And she did! Yea, Allie! For some reason, though, she was a bit softer on her solo than she was during the group numbers, but she still did fantastic. What a great kid!
Allie and her singing teacher Mrs. Cocker



6 comments:

Unknown said...

Allie,
Loved your song! I LOVE to hear you sing anytime! Sorry about the fairy dust....it hasn't worked for me either when I wanted to slim down and fly!
Love Grandma Smith

Kimberly said...

Wow! What a beautiful voice she has. Thank you so much for sharing this!

R and R said...

So sweet! Great job Allie! If Bella figures out how to become a fairy I will let you know. Currently she just settles for dressing up like one almost everyday!

the Wilcox Family said...

She has such a beautiful voice for someone that age! Those singing genes are extra strong, I'm guessing. You should be soooo proud of her!

Sarah said...

Wow! Watch out Broadway...here Allie comes! Seriously, Krissy, she has a lovely voice. It sounds like she has modeled your vibrato very well and that her voice is very sweet and natural. Thank goodness she isn't applying that horrible American Idolesque belting to her singing.

Tell her good job, from me!

I'm amazed at the guts she had to sing in front of so many people. The first time I sang in front of anyone, I only did it because my mom bribed me with something I wanted and since I was 12, I didn't have the money to buy it for myself. I sang so quietly that no one past the first row even heard me.

You gave Allie some wonderful advice on what our motives should be when we share our musical talent. Why weren't you around to give that advice to me when I was a kid? :)

Diane said...

AMAZING! Takes after her ma and pop, doesn't she? :)