Last Sunday, after spending a good hour after church coloring in a Tinkerbell coloring book, Allie came to me as I sat on the couch glancing through my Cooking Light magazine.
"Mom, can we make Pixie Dust?" I looked at her, and she proceeded to explain how she and Sami wanted to go to Pixie Hollow, but they had to jump into the picture in the book, and couldn't do that without Pixie Dust to sprinkle on their heads. Honestly, my first instinct was a big fat "No way! What a mess!" but I decided not to respond that way. After listening to her explanation, I thought I would humor her. "Okay, Allie, let's go in the kitchen."
I poured salt in a bowl (I figured salt would be less sticky and messy than sugar), dyed it golden yellow with food coloring, and finished it off with a bit of glitter. Voila! Pixie Dust! The girls grabbed their magic wands, and cast some spells and did some dances to make the Dust "work." Then they grabbed the coloring book and went out to the driveway (which is where I banish the children who wa
They placed the open book on the ground, sprinkled themselves liberally with Pixie Dust, held hands, counted to three, closed their eyes, and jumped onto the book.
For good measure, they went about the house gathering any fairy books they could find, as well as their Tinkerbell and Queen Clarion (the queen of Pixie Hollow) dolls. Once they went back outside, they piled their fairy objects on top of the book... perhaps to let the fairies
Sami wasn't really all that surprised it didn't work, but she pretended to be upset. Allie shed some tears as they gathered their things and walked back into the house.
We then sat on the bed and had a discussion about what the scriptures say God really created. I pointed out that the book of Genesis doesn't mention fairies, letting her draw her own conclusions. She wasn't too thrilled with that...
... until I offered the girls an ice pop. Then all was water under the bridge.


2 comments:
Oh man, it's kindof like Kimball. Lately he has been saying he is HALF Mario. When he grows up he will be whole Mario. soooo cute.
Oh, to have that kind of imagination again. My sister and I used to pretend that we were fairies that had power over changing the seasons. We would shake our trees like crazy trying to get more leaves to fall down every autumn...until my mom told us to knock it off!
One kid in our Primary loves to make comments during Sharing Time and it very rarely has much to do with the topic, but it is always dinosaurs this and Transformers that.
That is so cute that your girls prayed about entering fairy land. I would have been scrambling in my mind to find an answer to give them after THAT didn't work out!
Post a Comment