Okay, zip it.
I think my best memories seem to involve swinging on the swings (by myself) while singing the theme song to The Neverending Story, making up routines on the monkey bars with my friends to the theme song of Kids Incorporated, and competitive recess tether ball matches...
Huh. Just thinking about those last few good memories just made me feel better. Who'd 'a' thunk it?
Allie's a spunky girl-- much more confident and sure of herself than I was. She'll be fine. She'll be more than fine-- she'll be great. In fact, she will love it.
Allie and I spent an hour and a half on Saturday afternoon at Target, filling up a shopping cart with all the stuff she'll need-- a Tinkerbell backpack, a Barbie lunchbox, sneakers that fit her, etc. Sami was pretty upset that she didn't get to come, too. I tried to tell Sami that she didn't need all that stuff for preschool (she'll be starting the week after Allie)-- that they'd be giving her a bag to bring, and that she already had shoes. She was still mad.
Both girls are also signed up for dance later this month. Allie will move up a level, and Sami gets to start in beginning ballet. When Sami was potty training, I had promised her that she could take dance like Allie only if she could wear "big girl underwear." She did it, before she even turned three in March. So, I gotta pay up now.
Ballet shoes, tap shoes, leotards, tights... More money to spend. Eeek.
But more cute recitals to enjoy, and more great memories to make, and more fun skills to develop. Priceless.
But as for happenings within the past couple weeks (since my last update was halfway into July anyway), our ward held a Pioneer Day celebration, Pioneer Day being a Utah holiday commemorating the arrival of the Latter-Day Saint pioneers into the Salt Lake valley back in July of 1847. The party was complete with a chili cook-off, an apple pie conte
She didn't even eat any of it-- only wanted ice cream.
She did look pretty cute wearing an old pioneer-ish dress my aunt
Other than that, things haven't been extremely exciting around here. Kevin steam cleaned the carpet this weekend, and I took the kids to the zoo so he could do it. Woo hoo? Umm... we went to the Manatees baseball game Saturday night, since we got in free with Kevin's Harris badge that night. We were only there for an hour, since our kids can't last longer than that. Of course, I forgot to bring the camera to both activities, so I have nothing to show for it.
Oh! I thought many of you would be proud of me on this one. I played the organ for Sacrament Meeting two weeks in a row! Nikki recently taught me how to work the organ (which is what was intimidating me about playing in the first place-- all those stops and buttons...), and Linda the ward organist was out of town. She asked me to sub for her, and instead of playing the piano, I thought I'd stretch my comfort zone and use the organ. I wasn't great or anything, and I didn't even attempt the pedals, but still... Well, I'm proud of myself anyway. Now it's not scary anymore.
Watch, now I'll get called as the ward organist... since my other two music callings aren't enough.


3 comments:
Nothing is worse than the anxiety of that kindergarten year. I thought it was going to go away when I dropped Sydney off to 1st grade - still cried and cried. We'll see if 2nd grade is any better. Oh - by the way - I loved kids incorporated too. Ha Ha.
I can't even imagine the fear of sending your first born to kindergarten! I think it sounds like you are handling it beautifully though! I on the other hand am racking my brains on how to get Mattie into school next year, so she doesn't have to wait until she's 6 to start! Sometimes I think that I am just being ridiculous!
By the way, I totally meant to tell you that you sounded awesome on the organ both Sundays!
I've been the ward organist in 2 or 3 wards now and I try to keep it verrrrrry quiet that I can play. Luckily, my current ward has a great organist who is very reliable (as well as a few others waiting in the wings). I don't mind playing, but when I had the calling, I was in the single's ward phase of my life and it was a pretty lonely calling because I was always playing the organ while everyone else was mingling. Now, I think it would be hard because church is crazy enough with a 6 month old baby! My current ward still doesn't know I can play! Whoohoo!
Post a Comment