Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day

I got the special treatment today. Kevin makes sure of that every year, so Mother's Day really is one of my favorite days of the year. It's the day where I'm not asked to lift a finger, and am actually asked not to.

I awoke this morning to an empty bed, with the bedroom door still closed. He wasn't in the bathroom, so I figured he was sneaking around the kitchen trying to prepare breakfast without waking me. I waited about ten minutes or so before attempting to leave to get Drew from his room so I could nurse him. Kevin met me at the door and offered to get Drew for me. I guess he really didn't want me to come out. I peaked over his shoulder and saw the girls coloring on paper on the coffee table.

Sweet.

So, I nursed Drew, and soon the girls came in singing, "Happy Mother's Day, Mommy!" holding up with pride the fine pieces of artwork created with a pen and a red crayon. We sat on the bed and played with Drew till the aroma of homemade waffles and scrambled eggs wafted into the bedroom. Dad soon appeared to announce breakfast was ready.

He had set the table and everything. After we prayed, we ate. The waffles were fluffy, the eggs cheesy and onion-y. Good stuff-- it's too bad my appetite for breakfast is so small.

Kevin even cleaned up all the breakfast dishes, too.

After church, he made dinner, too-- Jambalaya. I offered to help with dishes, but he looked at me "like I had lobsters crawling out of my ears" (Anyone? It's from A Christmas Story...), and said, "No! It's Mother's Day." We even got the kids in bed 30 minutes early. I almost don't know what to do with myself.

Maybe I should write a blog post.

1 comment:

Jill and Kevin said...

Very sweet! It was a good day, a little crazy, but nice. Waffles are great!