I bore my testimony in Sacrament Meeting yesterday, having been really touched my the testimony born of a young man who attended Scout Camp with Kevin last week. This 12-year-old got up to the podium of his own free will and expressed his gratitude for the wonderful experience he had at Scout Camp. Did he talk about the hatchet throwing or swimming or canoeing? No, he talked about the scripture study their troop had together each night and how that really strengthened him. Wow. Suddenly it was all worth it. I knew that allowing Kevin to be gone for a week at camp, which took up a week of vacation time, was a sacrifice that was well worth it if it is building young testimonies preparing them to be determined missionaries and wonderful fathers and leaders in the future. They needed him. And while I kind of like having him around here, I get him all the time, but those boys don't get these camp experiences everyday.
And, really, that is what church service is all about-- building the kingdom by strengthening those that are its foundation. I'm often asked by those that aren't of our faith, "Why can't you just say 'no'? You don't have to do it." I'm not offended by this in the least, because I realize they just don't understand. They don't understand that while I can say no, and while I realize I don't have to do anything, I want to serve. And I want to serve because I know the gospel is true. I know that the true gospel, the organization of the Church, and the Priesthood were all restored by the Lord through Joseph Smith. And because of that, because the Spirit has testified to me that Joseph did indeed see God the Father and Jesus Christ, I know that my Savior, my Redeemer lives. If I didn't, I wouldn't have any desire to accept callings of service with the thought that I wouldn't get anything in return, that it would just be taking up time.
Truthfully though, while I know such callings are a sacrifice of time or maybe even money at times, the rewards come in blessings-- blessings of increased compassion for others, or perhaps developed talents or skills that may have remained buried or undiscovered. But the best blessings of all come when you realize your efforts, with help from the Lord, have strengthened the testimony of another.
Nothing is more rewarding than that.
2 years ago


4 comments:
Wow. That is so great! It is true that sometimes serving seems overwhelming and time consuming, but then you realize the great blessings that come from it and know that your sacrifice has been small in comparison to the blessings gained.
Thank you for bearing your testimony. I know that my family and I enjoyed hearing it. I know working in the YM /YW program as Chad and I are doing can be challenging at times, but we know it's worth it and that the lord will bless us. The kids get so much out of it. We are truly great full for Kevin and his dedication to the YM program, and for your willingness to let him camp out etc. It sure is nice to hear when the kids are touched as well (like Sam).
PS Chad really enjoys working with Kevin too!
Awesome! Thank goodness for priesthood leaders to teach and train our future priesthood leaders. You guys are such a great family! What an example! What a legacy! Miss ya gal!
Post a Comment