Sunday, March 11, 2007

The Time Change

You know, I have been impressed. Time changes have never been easy in our household when it comes to children and bedtimes. And, I have to say, that I somewhat dread this time change in particular, not so much because of the whole losing-an-hour-of-sleep thing, but because it makes it lighter around bedtime. I get nervous that the girls will see the light and think, Heck, Mom and Dad, you're crazy! Why go to bed? The night is young! But, and perhaps I'm speaking too soon about this since they have only been in bed for about an hour, they actually went to bed on time without any unusual outbursts of protest. And, for some reason, Sami, instantly adjusted to the change when she woke up this morning-- she woke up at around 7:20, which is her normal wake-up time, which means she really should have slept in for an hour...

In spite of the time change part, I do like Daylight Saving, and in fact, I wish that's how things were all year long. I love having more daylight in the evening for outdoor activities, which would be feasible in Florida winter evenings. It drives me nuts when we get a beautiful 75-degree day in mid-February, and I long to go and take a walk in the evening, just for it to get dark at 6pm-- then we're just stuck inside watching Jeopardy or reruns of Growing Pains. What a waste! (No offense to Kirk Cameron). So, it was glorious after dinner when we were able to strap the girls in the stroller and mosey around the neighborhood before putting them to bed. It definitely needs to be like that all year-- at least in warm places like Florida. Maybe I should get into politics and lobby for it. Okay, that must be fatigue talking. Me... and politics? Frightening. That's a whole other topic, though.

No comments: