Sunday, March 13, 2016

She's 12

It has already been over a week since her 12th birthday. I had tried to write about it last weekend, and had meant to post about it on Facebook, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I couldn't find the right words. Honestly, this milestone for Allie (and our entire family) seemed almost sacred-- like the sentiments that went through my head just seemed trite compared to how I was feeling.

My emotions were taking me on a roller coaster-- nostalgia, relief, pride, fear, excitement, sadness. I couldn't ever just settle on one. All very real, and all valid. 

Our firstborn-- she who blessed our lives after one of our darkest hours-- is a young lady. She is tall and lovely, with braces, glasses, and dangly earrings. She and I can share shoes, and I have even given her some of my shirts. 

Last Sunday was her first day with the Young Women at church, and the day before they "kidnapped" her for breakfast to welcome her into the fold with the "older" girls. There are so few of them, but I think she fits right in. She loves them. And two of them have even been our babysitters before. 

And now Allie is our babysitter..., which, truthfully, is pretty fantastic. She is responsible and cheap. Plus, she stresses little and is slightly over-confident, so she has never had any fear of being left alone. 

She has been a great sport as I have "forced" her to try new activities. Choir, dance, piano, tennis, orchestra, soccer, Youth Leadership Team. She came to love and pursue some, leaving others behind. But as her talents develop I can see the amazing woman she is growing to be. 

This sweet girl has truly blessed my life. She has made me proud. She has stolen my heart. 

I do miss the days from when she was little, but, truthfully, she is much more cooperative now. Plus, she doesn't scream at me from the confines of her room anymore. She's actually fairly amiable. When I assign her a task she'll do it. It may take her a few hours to get to it, due to a good book that "happens" to get in the way, but at least she will do it without objection. And she doesn't laugh at me when I cry anymore. On the contrary, she will put her arms around me and hug me. 

How on earth did I get the privilege of raising such a choice spirit? I certainly don't deserve her. But I am humbled and thankful. Eternally and infinitely grateful.

3 mos.

13 mos.

2 yrs.

2 yrs.






1 comment:

Sarah said...

I think I commented on this on Facebook back when you posted it. However, this is such a lovely tribute to a sweet gal who is growing into a beautiful young woman. I can't believe it has already been twelve years!