Wednesday, September 29, 2010

"Perfection"

It's no wonder so many LDS women suffer from depression.

I have just been browsing friends' blogs (since the only time I actually do that is when I update my own...). Incredible sewing projects, cooking endeavors, canning pounds of summer fruit, flawless family portraits, babies born at home with midwives, spotless and organized homes, church leadership callings, etc. I could go on... really.

If you haven't guessed, these are all weaknesses of mine. I basically taught myself how to sew. It's painful and laborious, and I'd rather do almost anything else. My kids would rather I do something else, too, because they know when I mess up I'll throw a fit and something will fly across the room.

Okay, cooking isn't a weakness (anymore), but grocery shopping is. And I'm also not ambitious enough to start a cooking blog.

I have no idea how to can food. I buy Dole Mandarine oranges and pineapple chunks.

It has been a while since we did family pictures, but we've never gone anywhere but JC Penney. And my teeth were really yellow at the time.

I can't have a baby outside of a hospital (doomed to c-sections), nor do I think I have it in me to have a lot of kids. Hmmm... patience? Nope. Tolerance of chaos? Zero.

And my house, while decently clean, is far from clutter-free and organized. I enlist my kids to help, and they fight me tooth-and-nail the whole way.

I have never been in an auxiliary presidency the entire time we have lived in Florida. I'm not complaining, but just saying that I think members of the Church (myself included at times) tend to believe that the strongest members of the ward are leading it.

It's much too easy to look at all of these areas where I lack and think that I am less than I should be. If I were a "good" wife... or If I were a patient mother...

But here's the reality. The Celestial Kingdom isn't going to keep out women who sent their husbands to a barber or buy pricey shoes. The Lord won't shun women who get an epidural during childbirth or spend their whole lives faithfully serving "only" as the Relief Society pianist. And I won't be on the "left hand" for buying commercially canned food and purchasing my kids clothes from Target or Old Navy, or even for buying something that's not on sale (gasp).

I just sat down with a member of both the bishopric and stake presidency a couple weeks ago to renew my temple recommend. They asked key questions regarding my faith. I gave honest answers. And I broke-in that brand new recommend at the temple, the House of the Lord, this past week.

And I am reminded that that's what's important.

P.S. Just to clarify, I am not pining for a leadership calling. While I haven't had any here, I've had them elsewhere. Having one is, as Kevin has described, a two-edged sword. It's flattering to receive the call, knowing that the Lord has confidence in you, that He considers you capable and worthy. And there is a closeness of the Spirit, I have found, that comes as a result of having stewardship over other members of the ward. But with that calling comes an enormous amount of stress and work-- meetings, reports, activities to plan, problems to tackle, service to render. It can be overwhelming. So, while it's easy to be fooled into thinking that by not being extended a leadership calling that you're not wanted or needed, the truth is that we are. And those that have such a full-time service calling sacrifice more time and energy than many others are willing to give. Believe me, it's not something to covet.

8 comments:

Jill and Kevin said...

It's true! It's so comforting to know that the Lord loves us and knows us and all the amazing things we do everyday that we don't even realize half the time (like getting kids ready and out the door looking decent in the morning). Maybe if my piano skills keep improving, your much needed and greatly appreciated talents that you share with us every Sunday can be broadened. Hopefully that made sense. I am not a writer, which you are very gifted at!

M said...

I agree with you whole-heartedly. I just had this convo with my oldest tonight. He was feeling sad that his little brother can ride a scooter "better" than he can. We talked about talents and being grateful for the ones we have. And how HF wants us to be happy about others' talents.

It's really easy to give advice on this topic, but it is so incredibly hard to believe it. And you are right about LDS women being depressed and anxious. It's no wonder.

Oh and btw-I would give ANYTHING to "just be the pianist." I swear the people that are in presidencies are people with fewer talents (me). Obviously that's a gross generalization... If only I could teach, I could be a teacher. If only I could sing/play the piano, I could do a music calling. I hate/can't stand/dread presidencies and apparently this is my lot in life. So count your blessings it's not yours! :)

Cami said...

I concur--you should write a book. "How to keep LDS women off Paxil."

Sarah said...

I've honestly never been one of those women who let the accomplishments of others get me down. I have way too much to worry about in my life without taking into account what others are accomplishing!

And it's funny, I've started a food blog with my family and my sister takes the most miraculous, scrumptious looking pictures of food and mine look like I tried to draw a picture of the food with crayons using my left hand in comparison. But I just think it's funny (on my part) and cool (on the part of my sister) that she has such an artistic eye. It all evens out. She doesn't know much about music and I do!

I loved how Jeffrey R. Holland talked in conference this morning about the "helpers" in the church. They are so valuable to the Lord. Besides, most people get to take their turns at everything. The Lord needs His office work done (ward clerk, anyone?) just as much as he needs his flock led (leadership callings). Neither one is more important than another. It's just all about His timing and plan for us.

Besides, you accomplish so much. And probably without knowing it, you are causing angst to other women because you are so on the ball!

Jones said...

*GASP* I can't believe you would ever pay full price! ;)

...seriously this post is EXACTLY what I just needed to read!

M said...

I know I already commented but I came back to make sure you've listened to and re-listened to Elder Holland's talk about helpers in the church. But it looks like "Sarah" beat me to it. I'm not in your ward anymore, and I've never seen you parent... however, I agree with Sarah. I bet you are the one that is causing other women in your ward stress because you are so on the ball. At least that's how you were last time I watched you serve. :)

The Harper Family said...

Krissy, you hit the nail on the head. I've felt the same way quite a few times since I've been married!!

I think Satan sure knows how to get to us girls, but I'm glad we have ways to combat that!! :)

Diane said...

Amen. Krissy, you hit this topic right on. I am so grateful to be serving anywhere. I can be strong wherever I serve for all that matters is how I serve. Whether it's the Primary President, ward librarian, or choir director. The Lord needs valiant servants to do His work in the latter-day. And even if we're in leadership positions and think we're not "leadership potential," we need to learn how to be. That's what we suffer from. Our worldwide church is covering the earth and we need people to step up and be leaders, whether they think they can be or not. Grow where you're planted, right? :) Thank goodness for those who accept and serve where ever they are called. Love you girl!