The girls are both a month and a half into the school year. The varying reports I get at the end of their school day is so telling of their personalities. Sami comes home to tell me who she played with during the day. For Sami, socializing is vital, akin to food or water (although, even those don't seem to be a priority with her oftentimes). If she can't get any of us to play with her, she sits with her pink blanket and cries about how nobody likes her.
For Allie, socializing is a perk of school, but she could do with or without it. If she plays alone, no sweat. She'll come home from school, pull out a chapter book (like Junie B. Jones or The Magic Treehouse) and plow through it for an hour till she finishes it, all while her sister is sitting at her feet begging to play with her. No, Allie's major concern is whether or not she got picked to go to the treasure box. Yes, the child is quite materialistic. However, her teacher talks about how sweet she is-- with "a heart of gold," as she put it. I'd have to agree. The girl is extremely compassionate and considerate. She even came up with the idea to round up a group of friends during recess to pick up trash around the playground. Of course, it wasn't long before all the girls thought they were each in charge and started fighting over who was th
Sami and Drew may not be as eccentric as their big sister, but they love to make each other laugh-- tackling each other on the floor or playing monsters.
Sami has been playing a word game with me lately. She worships Allie, and wants to read and draw just like her. Her coloring is really pretty good because she tries so hard to emulate Allie-- to keep up. And she gets frustrated when she can't do as good a job as she'd like. Soun
With the start of school also came the start of dance lessons. The academy is growing rapidly, which is exciting for the teacher, but a bummer for us. More students means a longer re
With our lives being so scheduled, we don't have much time for anything else. Although, we did get to have a Disney weekend a few weeks ago... on the very same weekend my high school friend Shannan was there from
The following weekend, Kevin got his birthday present. Of course,
Oh, I forgot to mention Drew's swimming lessons. Once the girls started school, I thought it would be fun to put Drew's in parent/tot lessons. He loved jumping in the pool from the side, hated swimming with the "noodle," loved to splash, and despised the slide (although he had no problem climbing the steps before "chickening out"). His lessons lasted for a month, which was all I could handle, really. We had fun together, but fighting his urge to let go of me and drown himself was exhausting. I think Drew's favorite part, though, was seeing four of his friends from Nursery at church that had all signed up for the same class.We're looking forward to General Conference this weekend. We don't have cable to be able to watch it on BYUTV, so we just pull it up from lds.org. It's funny... my grandma, who isn't even a member of the Church, actually watches Conference. I understand why. It's peaceful. It's powerful... and empowering. There are moments when our home feels as close to heaven as we're going to get-- when we pray together, when we read the scriptures together, when we enjoy beautiful and inspiring music together, and when we listen to the Lord's chosen servants together.
Now, in stark contrast, I have just turned on an Elmo CD for Drew to listen to. It was either that or play the Wiggles DVD for the millionth time in the past three weeks.
Help.


3 comments:
I loved your descriptions of Allie after a day of school. You are an excellent writer. Thanks for keeping me in the loop. :) I am grateful to still be in touch with you after all these years.
I love the picture of Allie and Sami with the crowns. That is awesome! Call me when Sami is whining that no one will play with her. Jane would love to!!!
I loved the video. I, myself, still like to do that!
I'm also pretty sure that we tried on those same gypsy headdresses when we went to Epcot. Sami looks quite fetching!
Oh, and luckily for me, Pete is still blissfully unaware of The Wiggles and while he loves Sesame Street, I like Sesame Street too. So far, so good!
Post a Comment