Thursday, May 20, 2010

A Cut

Sami came to me yesterday morning with Allie's scissors in one hand, a clump of her hair in the other. She had cut off a good six inches of hair in one spot about a half inch across. I sighed, "Sami, what were you doing?"

"My hair right there was too long, Mom. I want you to take me to Miss Marelyn-- I want her to cut my hair short, just like yours, Mom!" I stewed over it for a few moments.

"Are you sure Sami? I think it would be cute, but I couldn't put it in a braid or a bun anymore. You sure?"

"Yes, I want it all cut off." Oh, and I left out the part of the conversation where she declared she wanted to give her hair to kids "who don't have any" (a.k.a Locks of Love). I had to explain to her that her hair, while long, wasn't quite long enough.

Anyhow, I knew that Marelyn couldn't take her right then, so I just did it myself. Now... I have been cutting Kev's hair for the past eleven years, and I have given the girls trims here and there. But I have never cut six or seven inches off someone's head of hair before. I got Sami's head wet, combed it through, clipped up the top third, took a small clump in my left hand, (winced) and cut... knowing there was no turning back... and if I messed up, it would have to be even shorter.

I finished and smiled. It was actually pretty cute. Not perfect, but cute.

When we went to pick Allie up from school, Sami declared, "Look, Allie, at my hair! Mom cut it!"

Allie whined, with a half-smile, "Mom, why'd you cut it?" She was in shock. She never thought Sami would have the guts to do that. Ever. I think she was a little envious of Sami's nerve... and yet terrified that the same fate awaited her. I assured her that Sami had asked for me to do that and that I would only cut her hair if she asked me to. She sighed in relief.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

You did a fantastic job on Sami's hair. I would have been way to scared to do it!