Sunday, March 14, 2010

TICO Warbird Airshow

Friday afternoon I pulled the "TGIF" section out of the paper. The front cover advertised the TICO Warbird Airshow to be held over the weekend in Titusville. We have several airshows of some kind every year around here, but in the nearly five years we've lived here in Brevard County we have never gone to one. I really, REALLY wanted to go this time. That night Kev had the Scouts over here for a leadership training camp out, so it wasn't until they left late the next morning that I got to talk to him about it. He was game, so we loaded the kids in the car and grabbed some fast food to eat on the way. We arrived nearly an hour later... to be told by the soldier dressed in camo and manning the parking lot entrance that they only took cash for admission. Since we never have cash (and they wouldn't take a check), we turned around... and since we were in the middle of nowhere, we couldn't really find a convenient ATM. We set up camp across the road in the grass out in front of a commercial office building, and at least fifty people had the same idea. We sat there for 2 1/2 hours watching the WWII planes, fighter jets, Blue Angels, etc. fly practically right overhead. But we got some fun pictures and videos. I wish we could have gotten a video of the two F16s that flew over us, but they came so fast we couldn't even hear them coming... till the roar hit us (of course when I was facing the other way). Sami screamed and burst into tears, Drew cried (half-heartedly), Allie never lost that goofy grin, and I yelled "Holy crap!" and nearly hit the deck. Even Kev's heart was pounding. So awesome!



I almost busted out with an impromptu performance of "Danger Zone."

2 comments:

R and R said...

Danger Zone would have been perfect! Sounds like a great time!

Sarah said...

That's so dumb that they only took cash. I NEVER carry cash (because if I have it, I spend it on crap like fast food).

I'm glad you got to watch the show from across the street though. You took some great pictures!