Wednesday, January 20, 2010

In Light of the Earthquake in Haiti...

Signs of the times.

I can't help but be grateful, however, to have a living prophet to guide us through these perilous times. He not only receives revelation regarding our spiritual welfare, but our temporal welfare as well.

And as I have opened the newspaper each morning to more pictures of death and destruction in Haiti, the scripture from Doctrine and Covenants 88 has repeatedly come to mind. "Behold, I sent you out to testify and warn the people, and it becometh every man who hath been warned to warn his neighbor."

I talked with my mom yesterday. She talked about how all too many people there in Southern California think something like what has happened in Haiti after the earthquake could "never" happen here... in the "invincible" United States. Again, that same scripture came to mind.

I can't ignore that. I have been warned.

And we also know that if we are prepared, we shall not fear.

We have been counseled by our prophet to have food storage. And not just your three-day emergency stash, but at least a three-month supply. We've been counseled to get out of or stay out of debt, and have a cash reserve built up. This is not just "good advice"-- this is directly from the Lord. Perhaps compare it to Joseph's dreams that saved Egypt from starvation during seven years of famine. But what really mattered was their obedience. They could have easily said, "Say what? You want us to build up a reserve of food to last us seven years?! What on earth will we need all that food for?" But they didn't, and they were prepared.

So, because I love all of you, please heed this warning if haven't already done so. Are you temporally and spiritually prepared for whatever lies ahead? If so, then great! If not, then begin now!

For more information, please see http://www.providentliving.org/channel/0,11677,8033-1,00.html.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I taught sharing time for Primary in December. The last week was about the Lord's second coming. I decided to focus it on the Lord's personality and characteristics and why we should be so excited for Him to come again. Right as I was closing with my testimony, one of the 9 year old girls raised her hand and said "I'm afraid to die!" I thought "Uh-oh. There's not really any time to deal with this now...maybe I should have worked a different angle with this sharing time!" I again reaffirmed that we had no reason to fear and every reason to be joyful if we live righteously because we will be reunited with our dearest friend, and Savior. I hope that was enough! Maybe her parents need to have a talk with her!