Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Tuesday

My favorite part of today so far...

As we're leaving to take Sami to school, I noticed a dime-size spider hiding under the kitchen cabinets. Since I can't leave a living arachnid in the house, I put Drew down to kill the eight-legged intruder. Knowing how quick they can be, I resorted to be usual chemical warfare, grabbing the bottle of 409 from under the kitchen sink. I sprayed it till it tried to escape, and then squished it with a paper towel in its incapacitated state. Sami was curious, though.

"Why did you spray that on the spider, Mom?"

"Because it makes the spider slow, so I can kill it faster."

"Wow, Mom-- you're a super hero!" Sadly enough, I actually did hold my head a little higher at that moment. Come on, when will my daughter ever again refer to me as a super-hero? I had to soak that in.

My least favorite part of the day...

After coming home from picking Sami up from school, I checked my voice mail to hear a new message from Allie's teacher, Mrs. Georgeff. Allie was "chosen" to switch to one of the new Kindergarten classes... starting tomorrow, after having been in Mrs. Georgeff’s class for the last 4 ½ weeks. She had apparently already spent some time with the new teacher and was "excited." Call it "mother's intuition," but I knew this would happen. When the principal mentioned the possibility at Open House last week, I had a sinking feeling in my gut-- my Allie would be one of them. I came home to mention my feeling to Kevin-- he didn't understand, probably thought I was being a bit paranoid. But I just knew. It ate at me so much because the same thing happened to me in Kindergarten-- I was always sad about having "lost" Mrs. Seaver.

So after picking Allie up from school, we walked over to her new classroom to meet the new teacher-- a tall and slender, young, cute blond named Ms. Gregg. She was darling, with a bright, colorful room that smelled of cinnamon apples. Her blue eyes twinkled as she talked with Allie, excited about the new year. And Allie really seemed to like her, too. The pit in my stomach relaxed. Allie would be fine, I knew it. Ms. Gregg would be every bit as loving as Mrs. Georgeff.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

It's so important that you remember similar situations from your own childhood that will help you empathize and understand your child's experiences. Childhood is every bit as tough as adulthood--it's just different. You're a great mom.