Thursday, August 9, 2007

Precious Moments

Sami:

Yesterday afternoon, Sami, my baby, came over to where I was sitting, on the floor in front of the couch. She cuddled me, got back up, grinned and said, for the first time unprompted, "I yuv you!" Nothin' beats that.


Allie:

Last year Kev decided to teach Allie how say personal prayers before bed, and each night we try to encourage her to do so. She has gone through phases of sweet compliance where she prays over everyone and everything, neediness and dependence where she claims she can't say them without help, and refusal where she won't even try to repeat what we prompt her to say. Currently she is refusing. We don't make a big deal out of it. We just ask her every night if she wants to pray, she shakes her head "no" with her fingers in her mouth and Tiger held to her nose, and we move on to our normal singing time. We figure she'll come around on her own. Last night after reading scriptures together, I got down on the ground for family prayer. Allie got down with me, and then climbed onto one leg, followed by Sami on the other leg. I put my arms around them and said, "Ok, are you ready to say family pr--," but before I could finish Allie folded her arms, bowed her head, and blurted out, "Dear Heav'ly Father, B'ess Aunt Er'ka to feel better... B'ess us to get home safely... B'ess... Aunt Er'ka to feel better. In the name of Jesus Christ, A-men." She covered her face with her hands and smiled in embarrassment as I hugged her and thanked her for her beautiful prayer. She stood up, grinned, and said, "Are you happy, Mom? Are you not angry?" We refer to those two emotions a lot in our household.

No comments: