Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Am I a Good Mom?

Warning: This post may offend some people, but that honestly isn't the intention. I'm just trying to keep it real, yo.

I know I've essentially said this before, but one of the hardest things about being a mother for me is knowing that my children's poor behavior reflects on me-- but not as much their good behavior as the opposite, because, see, no one really notices too much when your child is not being a disturbance as much as when she is. I'm sure there are an innumerable number of people in the ward who, while they may like Kev and I as people, think we bite as parents considering the way Kev and I spend the entire meeting holding screaming children in the foyer during Sacrament Meeting. Case in point...

Kev's parents had to take the girls to church without us while we were in DC. Sacrament Meeting went for them how it always goes for us-- you're lucky if you catch two words of anything. After the meeting, an older sister in the ward came up to Mom Smith and said, "Don't feel like you're a bad grandma because of the way they're acting-- they're just as bad when their parents are here." It doesn't help that this is coming from a sister whom I think doesn't really like me much anyway.

Another example... Today I took Allie to swimming lessons. After all the classes for that time had ended, a small group of us stood underneath the umbrella getting kids dry and gathering our things. One friend carried her 21-month-old out of the pool, as the little girl cried-- seemed like she didn't want to leave the pool. Mind you, it wasn't the screaming and thrashing that comes from Allie if you have to take her away from something she's enjoying, so I really didn't think anything of the crying-- I figured, she's a kid, and what kid ever understands why you have to stop doing something fun? However, my friend lamented about her daughter having issues with obedience at the moment. Then another friend praised her efforts in teaching obedience to her daughter. Okay, I know my friend is very consistent, admirably consistent, but I honestly think I work just as hard-- her daughter is, however, naturally more obedient and cooperative and amiable than Allie, which many kids are, I think. She knows that her daughter tends to be pretty easy-going, and fully admits this, by the way. Perhaps I was being a bit sensitive, but I just felt like that compliment to my friend was also a shot at me, since that complimenter actually spends time with Allie once every week and ends up telling me about all the bad things Allie does. If Allie ever does anything good, it's because she was being asked or even compelled. She makes it seem, unintentionally, like Allie is never good on her own, which I know is not true, especially considering I know she behaves better for people who aren't her parents.

You see, many parents tend to expect perfection out of their own children-- they believe that their kids, and every other kid, should fit into this mold, and then get after them them when they think they're faltering. Are my friend's kids good kids? Yeah! Perfect? No way. Is that acceptable? You bet! And as much as she may doubt this fact when her kids make a mistake, is she a good mom? Of course.

I realize I shouldn't get annoyed when people judge me as a mother according to Allie's actions-- bad or good. Although I realized it's usually just the bad. After all, who are they to judge? So many people who are good parents, just as I think Kev and I are, just have easier kids. No offense, but it's true. Although, many good parents have difficult children as well. We happen to have both. However, Sami is developing an ornery streak in her. Parents can't look at how their kids turned out and say, as long as they tried to be obedient to God, that it was either all because of their hard work, or all their fault. That's a load of garbage. While Lehi and Sariah were parents to a prophet, they were also parents to some wayward sons that led a whole line of descendants astray. How should we label them? Or how about the ultimate, perfect parent-- Heavenly Father? A third part of his children rebelled, one of them being the leader and becoming a dude badder than bad. Would anyone care to judge the Almighty as a parent? I didn't think so. The point is, kids have agency-- it's a gift we've all been given. We can teach them obedience, but they still have the agency to say, "I know you want me to be obedient, but I'm going to do what I want." That's their choice. Of course, we discipline. But the idea of discipline is not to compell your children to be obedient, but rather to show them that there are consequences for their actions. Who wants their children to be mindless robots? Obedient, sure, but do they think for themselves? I want our kids to be obedient because they want to be obedient. It's hard as Allie gets older, and choosing my battles is difficult to remember. I look forward to day when that becomes second nature.

It's funny, I started out this entry feeling a bit sorry for myself-- like if everyone else believes I'm a bad mom, then I must be. But now, I think I actually feel sorry for those that have sat and judged me, because most likely, they're judging themselves in exactly the same way. They watch their kids' actions and grade themselves accordingly. That puts a lot of pressure on the family. The parents expect perfection out their kids, which makes the kids expect perfection out of themselves, or perhaps the children rebel, believing they can't do anything right, so why try? Either way it leads to poor self-esteem.

So, in conclusion, I'll think I'll just give myself a grade as a parent... Kidding.

6 comments:

Marcie said...

I am not offended by this post at all! I have often thought about this also. Gavin is a very active boy and often isn't a very good listener lately and it's frustrating- I can relate! Your perspective really changes about a lot of things when you become a parent. Gavin really is a good boy, as I'm sure Allie is a good girl. But there are so many factors, like different personalities, different settings, etc. Most people see Gavin's excited, playful and hyper side when he is with family and friends and they hardly see his more mellow, sweeter side. You ARE a good mom and try not to let other people bother you. No one should judge others about their parenting styles or try to push their parenting style on others! We know our children the best. I'm with ya!

Marcie said...

P.S. You might want to check out accountablekids.com- we are trying it and it has helped at times with Gavin and his behavior when he realizes that he gets privileges according to good behavior.

Emma said...

Right on sister!!!! I hear you all the way. I have 2 very active boys and I feel like others judge me because of it. They are worse when other kids provoke them and better when I am not there (one of the reasons I dread being in primary every week). I know I am not perfect, but I really think I have difficult children. They really are good most of the time, but that's not what people see. It was nice to be the only kids at the 4th of July party, because they were great!!! Sorry for the long comment. But I am with you 100%!!! Keep up the good work!

Cameron and Katie said...

As a side note to your post (which I can totally relate to) Why are moms so hard on other moms? Why do we judge when we see a kid "using their agency?" Aren't we all in the same boat, struggling along, trying to figure out what in the world we are doing!!?? :) I can't figure out why moms do that to each other, even though we are all just trying to survive and not beat ourselves up. Any mom who can get herself dressed, her kids dressed and everyone fed every day is getting at A+! The floor swept and dishes done are extra credit. :)

M said...

AMEN!

You know how I feel on this topic. It's obvious you are a terrific parent. You love your children and you discipline and you're teaching them to love the Savior and His gospel. I can be clear across the country and know that. Those are the makings of a great parent...

I have learned not to do so much judging. It's so easy to see a family and admire the parents if they only have "good" kids. There is a remarkable family in our town with a bunch of amazing teenage kids. Seriously, I'd give anything to have kids like them. One day I was lamenting to the mom about how jealous I was. She said, "Are you kidding? When my kids were small I was the supposed horrible mother because my kids were so out of control. Strong willed and very busy and determined babies and toddlers turn into strong willed and very busy and determined teenagers. And that's a very good thing."

Hang in there. The Lord loves you and loves your daughters and thinks you are doing an amazing job. What would he do if he was their parent? Oh wait, he is... and he's given you the privilege of helping him. He trusts your ability.

Michelle

Scotty K said...

I'm reminded of the principle of opposition. In as much as the Lord in his wisdom will not allow us to be tested beyond our ability to withstand, it seems reasonable the the most spitited are sent to those who are best capable to handle them, with his help of course.
And, it's been my experience that many of our best leaders were real pistols as kids!